Water is necessary to all human activities and to life in general. Because of this, it was made central to all components of the EU Green Deal and to several United Nation Sustainable Development Goals (UN SDGs), starting with SDG6 on « clean water and sanitation ». The Water4All Partnership, cofunded by the European Union within the frame of the Horizon Europe programme, aims at enabling water security for all in the long term through boosting systemic transformations and changes across the entire research – water innovation pipeline, fostering the matchmaking between problem owners and solution providers.
Water4All brings together a wide and cohesive group of 81 partners from 31 countries in the European Union and beyond. This consortium gathers a variety of partners from the whole water Research, Development and Innovation (RDI) chain.
- Research and innovation funders,
- thematic authorities in charge of water issues and policy-makers,
- local authorities,
- associations and networks representing the economic sector in the field of water at the European, national or regional level,
- research organisations.
This consortium will work together for the next decade to exert substantial changes on and for the community. It started its activities on the 1st of June 2022 and is currently ramping up its operations.
Water4All proposes a portfolio of multi-national and cross-sectoral activities targeting a variety of actors and intending to generate the following outputs:
- Strengthening the water Research and Innovation (R&I) collaboration at the European and international levels, notably through 6 Joint Transnational Calls
- Coordinating and leveraging the activities of the Water R&I community
- Supporting and promoting demonstration and access to the market of innovative solutions
- Producing, sharing and better communicating water-related knowledge & data, from local to global scales
- Enhancing talent development of water R&I professionals
- Fostering capacity development and life-long training of water policy-makers, stakeholders and the civil society
- Designing and implementing approaches for participatory development of innovation
Water4All runs its activities across 7 themes of its strategic agenda depicted in the figure below:
- water for circular economy
- water for ecosystems and biodiversity
- sustainable water management
- water and health
- water infrastructure
- international cooperation
- water governance
The Strategic Research and Innovation Agenda has been released in September 2022 and is available for download here
The outputs of Water4All will contribute to:
- Deliver sound knowledge, tools and evidence basis on water for policy- and decision-making
- Improve consideration of water impacts in all relevant policies
- Enhance the field/market use of innovative solutions to water challenges
- Increase the awareness and engagement of citizens for an inclusive water governance
Water4All will collaborate with other relevant R&I initiatives in the European Research Area, in particular the European Union (EU) Missions, notably the Mission ‘Restore our Ocean and Waters by 2030’, or other European Partnerships (such as the Biodiversity partnership, Sustainable Blue economy partnership, or Driving Urban Transition partnership)